I managed to completely dig over one of the smaller beds, which was subsequently forked, raked, and pooped by my CGA (bless him!) as by the time I’d done the digging part my arms were incapable of lifting more than a small cup of coffee and a gingernut. My back is still voicing its displeasure this afternoon!
A work in progress… March 29, 2010
Making a start! March 23, 2010
Well, it was a gorgeous day last sunday so we trudged down to the allotment to make some sort of dent in clearing & preparing the plot.
My chief gardening assistant & I packed a picnic – never underestimate the requirement for tea and cake – and collected a good friend of ours to assist with the digging (I’d like to add here that the aforementioned tea & cake may have been used in a bribery deal… hey, whatever works!).
So the three of us, armed with forks and spade, attacked the grass and weeds with venom, the results of which can be seen below. We worked for around 5 hours (including tea breaks!), and I must say we didn’t do a bad job! (more…)
Just over 2 weeks ago I made my first visit to my new little plot of land.
There is one word that describes it best… wilderness.
Journey to the centre of the allotment March 11, 2010
Welcome, and thanks for popping in.
To get things started, here’s a little potted history:
The journey begins in January 2009, when on a whim, I decided to apply for my first allotment. “Grow your own” was just beginning to become popular, and I felt inspired by the enthusiasm of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and the Landshare project.
I signed up to this, and investigated allotments. Suprised to find out it could be as little as a year to get my own plot, I sent off the application and waited.
Impatient as I am, and keen to gather my first harvest, I decided to see what could be grown in containers on my small but sunny (British weather dependant!) patio.
I trotted off to the garden centre and spent a small fortune on new pots, compost, fertiliser, a watering can, seed trays, and a selection of seeds suitable for pots. Phew!
I spent the rest of that weekend filling pots with soil, and sowing seeds. Broccoli, small carrots, mange tout and salad seeds were all carefully sprinkled into trays, watered, and placed in the lounge with propagating lids on.
A couple of weeks later, and success! There are sprouts! Feeling very proud, the strongest and biggest shoots got planted out into pots. The gardening bug had well and truly bitten me!